WordPress Ultimate CSV Importer Modules
There are six sections in WP Ultimate CSV importer.
Section 1: Dashboard
Section 2: Import/Update
Section 3: Manager
Section 4: Export
Section 5: Settings
Section 6: Support
SECTION 1: DASHBOARD
In the dashboard module, you can view the statistics of import, update, and export details.
- Monthly Analysis
The Importers Activity shows the stats of the total number of posts, pages or other data imported on your WordPress in months.
- Data Analysis
Import Statistics shows how many posts or pages or other WordPress modules data inserted, updated and skipped.
Instant or Scheduled data import/update
WP Ultimate CSV Importer allows you to do the following process
I. WordPress Data Import
II. WordPress Data update
III. Scheduled data import/update
SECTION 2: IMPORT/UPDATE
I. WordPress Data Import
Importing 1000’s of data and planning it to update on the WordPress website is done easily with the help of the CSV importer plugin.
Why WordPress Ultimate CSV, XML Importer?
For an illustration, you’re having a blogging website and you have to add 1000’s blogs per day in a static format. When you are doing it manually it takes a lot of time to create each post manually in WordPress.To reduce this effort, we developed a powerful CSV importer plugin.
Import CSV/XML data into WordPress
Ultimate CSV Importer lets you import your CSV/XML data in 5 simple steps.
- Step 1: Upload the CSV file
- Step 2: Choose post type
- Step 3: Mapping CSV header fields with WordPress fields
- Step 4: Media Handling
- Step 5: Importing of CSV/XML file
Step 1: Upload the CSV file
The first step is to upload the CSV file into the CSV importer. There are 4 methods used to upload your file. You can choose your file from your desktop, FTP or paste an external URL or from a server. The auto delimiter support available for “,”, “t”, “|”, “;”, “:” delimiters
Method 1: Desktop
Upload your CSV file from the desktop. It supports four file formats CSV file (.csv), XML file (.xml), Text file (.txt), Zip file (.zip)
Method 2: FTP/ SFTP/ FTPS Upload
You can upload your CSV and XML files from FTP or SFTP or FTPS. To access your file you have to provide information such as:
- Host id
- File path.
Get to know how to import/update WordPress data via FTP/SFTP
Method 3: External URLs
You directly upload files from external URLs such as: Google sheet and Dropbox. You have to provide the URL for your CSV for Google sheet. You can choose an XML file or CSV from Dropbox.
You can upload your CSV or XML file from the server. You can browse data from the server instance.
Step 2: Choose post type
- After uploading the file, a new activity gets open. You have to choose whether the data you want to import is an existing item or a new item.
- Then you have to choose the post type from the dropdown(Import each record as.)
Step 3: Mapping CSV header with WordPress fields
The mapping section allows you to map CSV/XML fields with the corresponding WP fields. WP Ultimate CSV Importer provides two different mapping options.
- Advanced Mapping
- Drag ‘n Drop
Only the mapped fields of your CSV will get imported.
When you provide the wrong header in the CSV header, the data from the CSV header field will get imported, that is it’ll be imported in the wrong WP field. While mapping the fields check twice the CSV header mapped for the appropriate WordPress fields.
How Mapping occurs?
Once you choose the post type, the importer will list out all the WP fields of the particular post type. If you choose to import records as Posts, then it’ll show WordPress posts fields. When you map the CSV headers with WP fields, the CSV values will get stored in that particular WP field you mapped. So that the data from the CSV file gets stored in WordPress.
1. Advanced Mapping
WP Ultimate CSV Importer automaps the fields, if your CSV headers and WP fields name are the same. There are no restrictions in providing your CSV header values. If you’re using a different header value you can choose the desired header field from the drop down. You can also provide the WP Field values instantaneously during your import by choosing Header Manipulation from the drop down and you can define the CSV fields and Static text within the curly braces using the static field. You can also merge multi column values and can perform arithmetic calculations with the formula field.
There are two types of actions performed in Advanced Mode. Header manipulation and Arithmetic Operations
You can merge the column by choosing Header Manipulation field from the drop-down. Now you can define the CSV fields and Static text within the curly braces using the static field.
Watch video to know how to work with Header Manipulation field in CSV Importer:
You can merge column values to perform arithmetic calculations with the formula field.
2. Drag ‘n’ Drop Mapping
It lets you drag & drop the CSV fields to the corresponding WP fields. It provides complete working experience exactly like your WordPress view. You can simply drag the CSV/XML fields in the right side and drop it in the desired WP Fields in left. From here you can also preview the mapped CSV fields.
The new WYSIWYG editor in post_content allows you to add styles to the content. The style formatting includes bold, italics, bullets, and numbered items.
This feature allows you to add style to static content along with drag and drop dynamic data columns.
The result will be importing all the post content body build with the same static styled text. Additionally, you can upload bulk images zip file from here. Learn more about the bulk image import into WordPress.
Terms and Taxonomies:
In WordPress, Terms refer to taxonomies. There are two types of taxonomies: category and tag. In category, you can import your post categories and in tags, you can import your keywords.
For example, you’re writing a blog on the Digital marketing category you display on the website. For this, you have created a field as the taxonomy in the CSV file. So that you can map your taxonomies in WordPress. Like the same, in the tag field, you can add tags for that post.
You can also add extra necessary fields while you perform mapping. The ADD CUSTOM FIELD button helps you to add new Custom Fields. You can create new fields based on your need.
Media Upload Fields
In the media upload field, you have to add the image zip file if it is available. For that first, you have to map the WP and CSV header for the media file.
With CSV Importer, you can save your field mapping as a template. So, you no longer need to repeat the mapping every time you do the import the existing item. To save the mapping, add your own Template name in the “Save this mapping as” section. Then click Continue, now the mapping will be saved and proceed to the next step.
Use Existing Template
The saved templates will be shown in the initial step of your mapping on future imports(as given below). You can choose the existing mapping or start a new mapping.
Step 4: Media Handling
WP Ultimate CSV Importer lets you import images in bulk or import inline/featured images along with your post, page, WooCommerce or any other post type. It also offers you with some advanced options for featured import. To know more about image import, please refer WP Ultimate CSV Importer Image Import.
- Media handling performs four operations.
- Media Handling- In this stage, you have to choose one among the three
- Post content image option- Choose whether you have to download an external image or not
- Image Size- Select any one of the sizes
- Media SEO and Advance Options- You can choose image SEO fields to customize your images SEO performance.
Step 5: Importing of CSV/XML File
At last, you have to configure the import of CSV/XML files. With an improved import engine introduced with v6.0.3 the plugin can handle any size of bulk import as CSV or XML file without any server side changes like max. execution time settings in php.ini. This means the plugin itself can do bulk imports straight away without any issues like crashes or stalling at import-export events. But not just import, WP Ultimate CSV Importer provides you with some advanced options like Duplicate check, RollBack and Maintenance mode to make your import more secure. The configuration items are:
- Backup before import
- Maintenance mode
- Handle duplication
- Scheduling imports
1. Backup before Import
RollBack option lets you get your database backup before your import. This feature helps in maintaining your database integrity. To take a backup of your database, check on the Enable safe pre-state option. If an unexpected error arises during the import. Retrieve the previous state using the RollBack option.
2. Maintenance Mode
With this, you can notify your visitors that your website is under maintenance. You can run important updates at the backend without any intervention. It helps you to maintain your WordPress database more optimized. To run the maintenance mode, check on the ‘Do you want to SWITCH ON Maintenance mode while import?’
3. Handle Duplication
This handles duplicates by providing the default WordPress field to check for duplicates. CSV Importer will check for the duplication in the field and Skip the record. This prevents duplication of records during your import. To handle duplicates, click ‘Do you want to handle the duplicate’. In the existing record choose the desired WordPress field from the drop-down.
4. Schedule Import
This plugin allows you to schedule your import and update processes based on your own UTC. In the schedule, add the Date, Frequency, UTC Time, and Zone. Now click on Schedule, the import will run at the chosen date and time.
The data gets imported using the WP Ultimate CSV Importer plugin. Importing the data without schedule process let’s you see the web view and admin view of the imported/updated records one by one with the help of log like below.
WordPress Data Update
WP Ultimate CSV Importer allows you to update your existing WordPress data from any CSV/XML file. Once uploaded your CSV/XML file check the Existing Items as you’re going to update your existing data.
How to update a CSV file in WordPress?
Update of existing WordPress information will be done based on Post Title, ID, and Slug. For WooCommerce Products, you have an additional option to update based on SKU. You can choose any one of these fields in the final step from the Update records based on drop down. Based on the value you have chosen, WordPress data will get updated. The mapping and media handling sections follows the same procedure as mentioned for import.
- Upload CSV or XML file by using the four methods detailed in Step 1 of WordPress Data Import.
- After uploading the data, you have to select an existing item.
- Follow Step 3 and 4 as same as WordPress Data Import
- In the Import configuration, you have to choose the field that you are going to update. Other steps follow the same as Step 5 in WordPress Data Import
Schedule your CSV
Stage 3: Manager In the manager section, you can view and manage your files. There are 6 processes handled in the Manager stage.
- File Manager
- Smart Schedule
- Scheduled Export
- Log manager
- Media Report
The file manager helps you to maintain all your data. In File Manager, you can download the file with the revised version or zip file. You can also delete the file from here.
2. Smart Schedule
WP Ultimate CSV Import lets you schedule your import as well as update process based on your own UTC time and zone. To schedule, check on Do you want to Schedule this Import in the final step of your import process and add the Date, Frequency, UTC Time and Zone. Now click on Schedule, the import will automatically run at the chosen date and time.
3. Scheduled Export
With WP Ultimate CSV Importer you can also schedule your export to automatically backup your WordPress data based on your UTC Time and Zone without any manual intervention. You can export data in your FTP, FTPS, and SFTP. Specify the Date, frequency, UTC Time, and Zone. Finally, click on Scheduled Export.
These templates get created during the mapping of import and update. It is useful when you upload the same format data into the plugin. The templates listed below in this field
5. Log Manager
Log Manager provides the details of the activities undergone in the existing files. So that you can check the latest revisions and the files presented in the CSV importer.
6. Media Report
In media report, the featured images that are inserted via CSV file will display. Also, this displays the success and failure count of images.
Export Data in CSV/XML File
Section 4: Export
The export module enables you to export all your WordPress data with advanced options. There are three steps to export your data from WordPress.
- Select the file you want to export
- Export your data
- Advance Features
Step 1: Select the file you want to export
Choose the module to export data. For Custom Post and Custom Taxonomies, you need to select the post type from the dropdown list. Once chosen, total records count of the particular module displayed on the top right corner.
Note: If no data is available, then you can’t proceed to the second step.
Click on Continue.
Step 2: Export your Date
Initially add the File name to export. Now you can skip the other export sections and click on Export, when you no longer need to add any filters to your Export. By default the export is done in CSV format, however you can change the file format from “Advanced Settings” option.
Step 3: Advance Features
*WP Ultimate CSV Importer lets you export data in 4 different file formats like CSV, XML, XLS and JSON. Choose the desired option from the Export Type.
- Additionally, CSV Importer allows you to split your data and export, this can be useful in case of exporting large amount of data. Enable Split the Record and mention the values in number. If you provide the value as 1000, the first 1000 records will be in the 1st CSV file, next 1000 in the 2nd file and so on.
WP Ultimate CSV Importer offers you with 5 different filters. Enable the required filter option and use it.
- Export data with auto delimiters – Choose one of the five provided delimiter from the “Delimiters” drop down. If you need to use a different delimiter you can add it in the “Other Delimiters” column.
- Export data for the specific period – It allows you to export the files imported in a specific period of time. Mention the From date and End date to export the files.
- Export data with the specific status – It allows to export the files with specified post status. The status may be publish, sticky, private, protected, draft and pending.
- Export data by specific authors – It lets you export the files of specific authors. The author may be admin, user, contributor etc.
- Export data based on specific inclusion – Lets you export the data with some specific fields. It displays all the WordPress fields based on the groups. If you want to export any particular fields or fields from any supported third party plugin for the selected module, you can select that field in this filter.
Once done with your filters, click on Export. Finally, click on “Download” to download the exported file.
Custom Post Export
Section 5: Settings
There are four classifications are there in the setting module
- General Settings
- Database Optimization
- Security and Performance
In a general setting you can:
- Drop table – Enabling the drop table will delete all the details available in the plugin “Manager” tab. Records imported using the CSV Importer Pro plugin won’t get deleted or removed during the process. After enabling the Drop-table option in the settings tab, deactivate the plugin to remove the records in the Manager section.
- Scheduled log mails- The log details will send to you via Email
- Send Password to user – It sends user password through Email
- WooCommerce Custom Attributes- Enable this to register the names of WooCommerce attributes.
- CMB2 Metadata- Display prefix of your fields
2. Database Optimization
Database optimization is a technique to reduce the DB response time. While optimizing databases make sure that you already have a backup for this DB. The deleted data can’t get retrieved.
3. Security and Performance
In this module, the minimum requirements, system value, debug information are present.
- The minimum required php.ini values contain the system values and the requirements for each variable.
- You can view the requirement to enable/ disable loaders, extensions, and modules such as PDO and curl.
- PDO- Php Data Objects is a database access layer that uses a unified API.
- Curl- It is a command-line tool to access data from or to the server
- In debug information, you can check out your software details and versions.
This document section includes a demo video of the product. You can view the details of the developer, product, documentation, demo videos. You can also check out the other WP plugins developed by us. The main purpose of this section is to encourage self-help process that helps to clear all the queries of WP Ultimate CSV Importer yourself.
Section 6: Support
The support team of Smackcoders assists you by clearing all your doubts and questions.
- WordPress: How to Import and Export Read More
- Post Import Checklist for CSV Importer Read More