FAQ Related to WP Ultimate CSV Importer
1. What is a CSV file?
A CSV or comma-separated value file is a simple text-based file format to store tabular data. In general, a character like a comma used as a separator between commas separated values as tables.
2. How to open or edit the CSV file?
A CSV file is editable in any program like notepad or notepad++. However, a spreadsheet editor like MS Office, Open Office Calc is more useful to edit working as tabular structure.
3. What are the types of CSV files?
Most common type is CSV or comma-separated value file. The other one is a delimited file where a character like a tab or a semicolon is used instead of comma as a delimiter.
4. What is CSV file format?
There are different file formats available based on encode like ANSI, UTF-8, UTF-8 without BOM, USC-2 BE BOM and USC-2 LE BOM. For WordPress, the default format will be UTF-8 and for non-Latin character data, UTF-8 without BOM used.
5. How to validate a CSV?
WP CSV Importer allows you to import CSVs that are validated. So kindly validate your CSV using CSV Lint. Your CSV may have any escape characters and misplaced skip characters which may cause the import to cease.
6. How to import content to WordPress?
Import to WordPress done in different methods based on content source type, platform, and file types. The most common types of imports are XML, CSV and DB files.
- Xml method needs advanced knowledge to edit/update them in case of any changes required on source data. Otherwise, users are limited to do import without any changes to the source file. Hence, editing done post by post in WordPress only possible after import.
- CSV methods allow any users with basic excel or any spreadsheet knowledge can audit, change, edit or update the data visually in bulk before importing. So painful manual works are avoided and time saved. In addition, CSV file is the most preferred method for any offline programs.
7. In WordPress, how to import xml?
It is simple with the Ultimate CSV Importer. You can import either XML or CSV using the same methods or UI. Upload your XML file using browse and upload option. Then follow mapping steps as normal to import the data.
8. What are the minimum required settings for normal faster import?
Basic System Requirements need to be satisfied to upload a CSV with bulk of records. Kindly check your System Requirements by Settings >> Security and Performance on CSV Importer plugin settings tab. You have to increase the system requirements values to the minimum values mentioned in the plugin.
9. Why do CSV file uploads fail?
The import may hang due to the following reasons
- CSV not properly validated.
- CSV not properly encoded to UTF-8.
- Check the allowed file size, if needed increase the upload_max_filesize in php.ini file
- System Requirements are not matched the required values.
10. Why are my featured images not getting uploaded?
Note the importer uploads images in the background for faster performance and it requires WP-Cron to be enabled. For while it may look like images are not there until the background process is completed. You can easily configure WP-Cron for smooth and speedy import.
11. Does toolset’s nested repeater field group work with CSV importer?
No, Import/Export support is available only for the normal repeater field groups for now. Nested repeater field group is not yet available
12. Do you support custom posts with two or more custom relationships?
Yes, WP Ultimate CSV Importer allows you to import multiple relationship posts for the single custom post type.
13. Is it possible to update records from CSV/External URL?
You can import and update any bulk number of records into your WordPress using the google sheets. Make sure the google sheet which you use for the import/update must have sourced from a public/downloadable external URL. i.e. the link should be public or downloadable without need to login
14. Can I import the images with the image name?
No, you can’t. WP Ultimate CSV Importer allows you to import the images into your WordPress Media Library. Use the publicly accessible image URL in your CSV/XML file, and that will help you to complete the import.
15. why is bulk import stuck in ongoing process? how to achieve this?
If your max_execution_time value in the php.ini file is less, the import will get stuck in the middle. To avoid this problem, better set the max_execution_time value to 0 in your php.ini file.
16. How to import users? Why did the entire user list skip on import?
Do not fail to give values for the user_email and user_login fields in the user’s section because these two fields are mandatory fields for WordPress, and will get skipped in case you miss anyone field in your CSV file values.
17. How to import ACF file type from external source instead of media?
WP Ultimate CSV Importer Pro plugin does not import the files available in the external source to ACF. Upload the file in the media library, and use the URL of that file for your new post, which will help you assign that file for that specific post.
18. Even after being assigned an ACF field group for taxonomies, why field names not showing up in the product mapping section?
Assign the custom taxonomy to the ACF field group. If you assign the Custom taxonomy values to the field group, our plugin will not show the fields in the mapping section.
19. Do WP media images used for ACF image field duplicate after new import?
If you use the image URL from your WordPress media library for the ACF image field import, images won’t be replicated in the library.
20. Why are the values and names not showing after importing WooCommerce?
Kindly go to the settings page in our plugin and enable the option to register the names of the woocommerce attributes. After enabling it, try the import.
21. How do I import variations for woocommerce products?
ParentSKU fields and VariationSKU field value are mandatory for the WooCommerce variation import. If you miss anyone, all the records will get skipped.
22. How to import images?
To upload images, WP-CRON need to be enabled. WP Ultimate CSV Importer New version has been programmed to import the images separately using CRON, which reduces the import time. You can learn more about WP-CRON and its setting up using How to enable & Configure WP-Cron.
23. why are fatal errors triggered while installing the pro version?
WP Ultimate CSV Importer PRO and FREE runs independently and doesn’t require other plugins to work. Kindly Deactivate FREE version before Activating the PRO version.
24. Is CSV Importer works on multisite?
Yes, WP Ultimate CSV Importer works on multi-site, but it has to be activated independently. Kindly activate the WP Ultimate CSV Importer plugin in each installation separately, Network Activate will not import the records.
For more debug methods and FAQs kindly visit WP Ultimate CSV Importer FAQ.
25. Is there any limitation on file size?
The size of the file is based on the Upload size of your server configuration. The upload_max_filesize should be at least 2M. You can verify your system values in settings → security and performance.
26. Can we include an external URL for image import?
Featured images can be imported from an external URL but inline images can be populated only through shortcode.
27. Why does the import button doesn’t get enabled?
The import button will be enabled only after uploading the CSV file to be imported. If not enabled, verify whether the file is in UTF-8 format.
28. How to import posts in multiple languages?
Posts can be imported in multiple languages by using WPML & qTranslate X. In WPML you’ve to set an additional field in your csv file for language and provide the language code. In qTranslate X you need to provide a shortcode in the desired field.
29. why are images are not displayed after importing the post?
Image gets uploaded in a background process for smooth and fast import and it requires WP Cron to be enabled in your server.
30. How to import WooCommerce Variations?
WooCommerce Variations can be imported by specifying the Parent SKU of WooCommerce products in the variations CSV file.
31. What are the supported CSV Formats?
Ultimate CSV Importer supports only UTF-8 without BOM format of CSV file, any characters in this format will be imported.
32. Why am I getting empty headers in the mapping section?
The issue is due to the improper naming of the CSV. The filename should not contain spaces or any special characters. You can separate each word of your file name with hyphen(-) or underscore.
33. Why do I get blank page after uploading my CSV?
The blank page is due to the improper file permissions. The /wp-content/uploads folder requires 755 permission.
34. What is the supported post_date format?
Almost all the date formats are supported. We use the PHP Functions to read the date format in the CSV files. The conversion of the date depends on the date format set on the Server and the CSV File parameters.
If in case the date doesn’t fit into any of the standard formats used across the globe or any part of the date string is missing, then the current date will be used.
35. Why am I getting blank page in the mapping section?
Black page in the mapping section will be shown due to the low ‘memory_limit’ or ‘post_max_size’ value in php.ini configuration of your server. The minimum memory_limit need to be 99M and post_max_size need to be 10M. If the uploaded file size is huge then you need to increase it further.
36. How to increase the “upload_max_filesize”?
Upload_max_filesize can be increased either by overwriting the value in a custom php.ini file or you can get support from your hosting provider.
37. Why uploading 10,000 lines of CSV goes through processing and doesn’t create a single post?
This is due to some error in the CSV file. You can check the following cases
- Save the CSV with proper UTF-8 without BOM format.
- Ensure that nothing breaks or overlap in CSV.
- Ensure that the mandatory field header has values in it. E.g. post_title should not be empty.